Thursday, November 18, 2010

Vitamin D


Vitamin D.  You've read the studies?  I've seen a number of different items, mostly pieces that advocate its supplementation to your diet.  Vitamin D helps you to process calcium, among myraid other things, and it only comes from sunlight, so, if you're happily camped out inside most of the day, well, maybe you're not so happy?  It is also linked to serotonin production.  So, well being.  And yesterday I met with my endocrinologist (about a month after the surgery) and guess what? Vitamind D is low!  Far too low, in fact.  Below the "normal" range!  So, I'm supplementing now with the fervor that comes from medical and internet fused prescription.

I'm not bothered by this.  Instead I'm relieved.  Lots of depressive like symptoms seemed to be rearing their soft little heads in my life stream lately, so I of course have been concerned.  And while I know that vitamin D is not a cure all, I have traced feeling better to having had taken some supplement the day previous.

Funny thing with doctors, though.  He also recommended I take a calcium supplement.  But I sort of suggested this to him first.  He didn't have much to say about it.  Maybe I just want the doctor to take the lead, maybe I'm old fashioned, I don't know.

Anyway, here's to love, here's to life, here's to you, and here's to vitamin D supplementation.  Like sanitation for the soul!

No comments: