Sunday, November 28, 2010

Potato Pancakes and Christmas Trees






There's actually some zucchini in them (credits to my anonymous fiancee for making these delicious treats).  I haven't had them in years, and they were just fabulous on a crisp sunday afternoon.

Today we got a Christmas tree...

...and I tamped down guilty thoughts about partaking in this ritualistic endeavor without quite extinguishing them, which is okay for now.  I consume shit.  Yes, it is more complicated, but that means the objects of my consumption don't necessarily serve their natural function (i.e. cleaning the air), which I may or may not feel guilty about only in an indirectly collective selfish way, which is all the more clear in a huge city, thinking about the massive oddity that taking living trees into one's apartment does.  If only 10% of the city does this, we're talking about at least 500,000 trees or so (i'll say 10% of households not population, and this is ballpark as I'm far too lazy--oh screw it, let me google this damn stat).

Okay, here's a wiki link that you could have found on your own anyway, and it is about christmas trees in general.

Anyway, our consumption isn't meaningless.  The dollars I traded (ahem, well, I didn't even trade them, instead just felt the twinge of ambiguity about the process, making me, gasp, judgmental, I think.  Not an actionable mental state, according to NYS penal code, unless it finds its way into the basis of intent for some other crime, and I'm in no way contemplating a different crime fueled by ill will that accumulated via the witnessing and eventual hauling of a christmas tree to our car and back to our apartment, where it now stands looking oh-so-homey.  Actually does smell nice.  And the cat seems to like it.  See how I don't have to be responsible and continue with one throughout the entire blog post.  This doesn't have to be a little essay, after all, this blog posting.  I don't mean to interject my filter outlandishly, but I am more effectively blogging lately because I don't feel pressure to proffer a thorough position on some topic.  And that's how things stand here, today, for now, sober, stone, and ready for the eventual collapse of this dandy vacation on the train ride tomorrow morning, 7am.  Bestest night to ya'll.)

Which is to say that the dollars that some people not myself spent on the tree don't go to waste.  They probably go toward food, and who can argue with food.  Even if they might directly go to cigarettes, or beer, then maybe they go to NYS, or somewhere.  But I'm (well not me) spending them, and that does matter, if not for me directly then in the same collective half way selfish view that it might stimulate something.

No comments: