Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Slow Down

In some different universe, I should have tried to start this blog the very first time I became sober after not having any strong sober streaks behind me.  As it stands, I did stay sober for half of 2009.  It was very hard to stay sober then, because I felt immediately and hugely fatigued.  And so will you.  Run down, eyes bloodshot, friends a light year or more away, always coming through in distorted shapes and with overtures that cannot be full recognized until too many moments pass to respond normally to them.  And for now, at least, I'm here to tell you that this is normal.  It is significant though, because it means you need to take care of yourself, and that, for the first time, you're sober enough to realize how haggard you truly are.  The fatigue will pass.  Not immediately, but it will.  You need to stay sober for a full month or more to get rid of this extra layer of mental fat.  Your brain has been drying up and will gain moisture and expand as you treat yourself normally.  Give it a shot.

No comments: