Friday, April 22, 2011

Emotional Attachment

A lot of my life, I've been emotionally attached to ideas that I don't actually believe in.  Most of my ideas, in fact.  This is a fairly new realization for me, and it is one that's hard to parse--not because I think that all emotion should be taken out of ideas, but instead because emotions provide such rich ideas and experiences but can be limited in this way: once I experience and feel something, and an idea is linked to that experience, I protect the idea from pollution, rather than giving in to fresh light and air.  That is, I don't demarcate between the idea and my previous experience, and think that, if the idea isn't true, or doesn't accurately describe the whole picture, then my experience was similarly limited.  That is just not true, though.

No comments: