Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Why Are Strawberries Sweet?

The answer to this question is very simple.

It also makes me feel like my own natural instincts are false. 

Basically, it causes the floor to fall out on any and all assumptions I had on a central question: what makes me (or anyone) happy?

I'll try to explain. 

Strawberries are sweet for only one reason: to propigate.  Sweetness helps them spread and recreate themselves.  That is, the same reason that strawberries are sweet, that we like them, allows them to exist to us, and allows them a successful avenue for seed dispersal.

Applied to my own basic urges and desires: why do they exist?  Why pleasure?  There is a basic reason, and it is highly related to the pungency of nector that strawberries infuse our senses with. 

As ugly as it is.  As repulsive.

I must look at my basic primitive desires and urges, those things that crop up first in any situation.  I must not feel shame about them.  I must instead understand them as natural responses that yield recreative success. 

For the moment, assume that what I'm saying is true and makes sense.  The question shifts, regarding happiness, to what form happiness might take outside of restriction and release of restriction.  What causes deep inspiration, for instance?  And biting humor?

I can't help but feel that I've been deceived.  I can't help feel that a strong and majority stake in most of our behavioral decisions regard our these sweetness instincts. 

And why not ride the wave, right?  Why be an ascetic?  Must I be an ascetic if I'm a dry alcoholic?  It is a very good question.  I'm not sure what the answer is right now.

No comments: